Friday, October 15, 2010

peace

One thing that has helped me keep my spiritual life sharpened and growing is by examining moments of discord or discontentment in life. In Isaiah 32:17, it states that the fruit (or effect according to the ESV) of righteousness will be peace. I have been applying this Word to my own life by examining my choices, mind, and heart when there are moments of unrest or disharmony in my life. 10 times out of 10 I find that dissatisfaction is inherent in moments of inaction or contravening action.

I find it easy to be at peace, to be satisfied and rested in spirit, mind, and body when one's mind is set to thinking and doing things that would be considered as righteous, when I am being purposeful in being diligent in my responsibilities both in the marketplace as well as in ministry.

And for the moments when things out of my control happen that are disappointing or hurtful, I revert to another Word -- James 1:1-2. "Count it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." I always find the mark of maturity in someone else to be their level of patience. Someone who can be patient and understanding, to me, is someone who has been through their fair share of adversity and learned to deal with in it in grace -- especially when it comes to involvement with others.

I oftentimes think about that fact that I am drawn to the tough things, situations, and people in life. I have an incredible desire to grow, to better myself in order to be more effective and purposeful. I suppose it's mostly subconscious (and admittedly sometimes completely conscious) of me to be drawn to adversity as a means of pushing myself and growing -- without pain or resistance there is no growth after all. In the end, I also rely on the Word that states: "he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

With God at the center of my everyday life, I trust and believe that His sovereign hand will keep the waves I can't tread at bay, and that there is no task, situation, or person which comes my way that will wash over me and not leave me standing. In moments of adversity, after the work is done and a proverbial tiredness or sweat pours over me, I like to stand with my head held high, the warmness of the sun's rays washing over me, and feel true peace wash over me like a cool shower. He is good, He is faithful, and I am well taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment