Thursday, November 25, 2010

thankful

While thankfulness is ever-present in my own life I like to think of Thanksgiving Day as a day to take a yearly inventory on what has transpired and reflect on some of the bigger picture items that are not necessarily a singular instance or event. For the past year I have the following to to be thankful for:

The family I have. Not just for being my family by default, but for being people that make life easier to live together and make the world a happier and better place to be because of one another and not in spite of one another.

For having a good job with Apple that lasted the full scope of my contract and then for a new job with IBM, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed and continue to enjoy. I also enjoy the two months of unemployment between Apple and IBM when I was humbled and blessed to earn money by mowing lawns to keep up with my bills.

I am thankful for the friendships I have developed this year. There has also come a wealth of relationships that I could never put a price tag on. I live and lead beside some selfless and focused people who make life even better. A couple of new people have come into my life very recently and have enriched it further than I can describe. 

I am thankful for being both humbled and teachable this year. Every low point has opened the door to growth and a better understanding of who I am and what I have to offer the world by my hands and through the gifts I have been given and instilled with. I have had good leaders and mentors in my life who have taught me more than I could imagine and I am thankful I have absorbed the good and repelled the bad. It helps change your attitude towards yourself, other people, and that things that happen in life that you simply cannot control.

I am thankful that I can honestly say this has been the best year of my life thus far. I am thankful that I am happier than I have ever been even though I have spent a lot less time doing things for the sake of making myself happier. I am thankful that I have found a deep, resounding peace and joy in my life that is seldom rattled.

I am thankful for little things: a car without major issues or break-downs, a laptop that still works well, the ability to make a hot cup of tea when I want, heat on the cold days, a/c on the warm ones, the countless freedoms this country affords me, the ability to connect with friends and family through social networking sites, new musical discoveries, good blogs to read, food on the table or at a restaurant, running water, and a small place on the internet to share my thoughts.

Most of all, I am thankful to the One who has made all of the above possible, and for His continued will being done in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment